In Arizona, juveniles may carry a gun only in certain situations:
- Inside a private residence
- If the juvenile is emancipated
- If accompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with the consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian
- On private property owned or leased by the juvenile or the juvenile’s parent, grandparent, or guardian
- If fourteen years of age and up and at a shooting range, or while hunting, or transporting an unloaded gun for lawful hunting, sporting events or to a lawful shooting range during specified hours
In any other situation, a juvenile is not allowed to carry a gun and may face charges for doing so.
If a juvenile has been adjudicated delinquent, additional restrictions apply.
The circumstances of the arrest will affect the disposition. Was the gun loaded? Was it visible or concealed? Was it used in the commission of a crime or as a threat? Has the child ever been adjudicated delinquent? How close is the juvenile to 18?
Get an experienced Arizona juvenile defense lawyer to defend a gun charge
Violation of Arizona’s gun laws is a serious matter and one that could interfere with your child’s future when applying for scholarships, jobs, or military service. It is extremely important that the child receives the best defense available and that the case be kept in the juvenile system where penalties are less punitive.
Fight for a better future after an Arizona gun possession charge
Jeremy Geigle with Jackson White Law understands that young people make mistakes. Every child deserves another chance. He will fight for a diversionary program or a disposition that will not hold the child back and will help him or her get back on track to a productive future.
If your son or daughter is facing a gun possession charge, set up an appointment for a free initial consultation with Jeremy. He will review the circumstances of the case and let you and your child know what options might be available. With his extensive knowledge of Arizona’s legal system, experience working with prosecutors and judges, and commitment to the best interest of our youth, you can rest assured that he will provide your child with skilled representation and will do everything the law allows to protect your child’s future.
The attorneys at Jackson White handle cases in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Mesa, Tucson, Flagstaff, and throughout the state of Arizona.